Founder & Artistic Director
founder & artistic director
Artistic Director of Youth Ballet Company
“It is my sincerest wish that aspiring dancers in Singapore benefit from the best professional vocational training available and to learn how to dance beautifully, intelligently and freely - from the heart, mind & spirit”
- Graduated from the National Taiwan University of Arts
- Received the “Honorable Young Star Ballet Dancer” Award from National Theatre of Taiwan
- Won full scholarship from The Joffrey Ballet at the New York Ballet Competition
- Received national scholarship for training at The Atlanta Ballet in 1990 and joined the Atlanta Ballet
- Worked with the Metropolitan Ballet Theatre in USA
- Worked with Ballet Contemporaneous de Caracas in Venezuela
- Invited to dance at the 14th International Ballet Festival of Havana in Cuba
- Worked with Singapore Dance Theatre
- Received the NAC grant to study with Atterballeto in Italy
- Received The Martin Rubenstein Award from Commonwealth Society of Teachers of Dancing
- Received the Choreography Award at the Barcelona Dance Awards 2008
- American Ballet Competition 2013, Boston - Received the “Preserving and Advancing High Standards in Teaching and Artistic Development of Dance Students” Award
- World Ballet Competition 2013, Orlando - Received the “Teacher/Coaching Award Jury Prize” Award
- NBA Tokyo Ballet Competition 2014, Received the “Excellence in Contemporary Choreography” Jury Prize Award
- NBA Fukuoka Ballet Competition 2015 - Received the “Special Teacher Award”
- Japan Ballet Competition 2015, Fukuoka - Received the “Best Coaching Award”
- The Ballet Competition for Youth 2016, Tokyo - Received the ”Best Coach Award”
- NBA Sapporo Ballet Competition 2016 - Received the “Special Teaching Award”
Hsienfa Cheng began his dance education at the National Taiwan University of Arts where he was given the Honorable Ballet Dancer award from the National Taiwan Theatre.In 1988, Mr. Cheng has worked extensively with The Atlanta Ballet, and as principal dancer for The Ballet Contemporaneo de Caracas in Venezuela. In 1995, he joined Singapore Dance Theatre as the Principal Dancer. Currently, he is the Artistic Director of Cheng Ballet Academy, which he co-founded with his wife, Ms. Tan Yaling, in Singapore in 2006.
A prolific choreographer and talented teacher, Mr. Cheng has won countless Best Teacher and Choreography awards at The American Ballet Competition, NBA Ballet Competition, The Japan Ballet Competition, Tokyo Ballet Competition, The Canadian Grand Prix, The Barcelona Dance Awards, and World Ballet Competition among others.
Through an illustrious dance career spanning nearly four decades, Mr Hsienfa Cheng has made a name for himself and also been selected to be a dedicated jury member of numerous prestigious ballet competitions includingThe World Ballet Competition in USA, The Canadian Grand Prix in Canada, The Star Canna International Ballet Competition in Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Elite Dance Competition, Miami International Ballet Competition, The Global Dance Challenge in Vancouver and The Malaysia International Ballet Grand Prix and The Kyoto Passion du Ballet Competition in Japan.
Under Mr. Cheng’s guidance, his students have brought back numerous medals in international competitions in 2019 including World Ballet Competition, Global Dance Competition, Japan Ballet Competition Kyoto, Bari Ballet Competition in Italy, Asian Elite Dance Competition in Hong Kong, Passion du Ballet a Kyoto, Summer in Japan.
Under the leadership and tutelage of Mr Cheng and Ms Tan Yaling, there are now more than 700 students of different nationalities in the academy. Together, they have groomed many of the school’s young talents, producing stellar results at many international competitions and the vocational ballet school.